Call a structural engineer to examine a suspicious basement crack

Dear Glenn: A year ago, the dirt outside my mother-in-law’s basement wall pulled away from the wall itself. We put down sand to fill it in and it appeared to be doing OK. However, a crack formed on the inside of the basement running on a 45-degree angle from the top of the wall to the floor. It ends at the sump, about 12 inches from the corner of the wall. The crack does not appear to go all the way through the wall, but it is spreading. What should we do? Vic, New Baltimore Dear Vic: You need someone with structural engineering capabilities. I suggest you call InstaDry Basement Systems, (800) 356-0820,, or SAS Waterproofing, (800) 894-5115.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.